Gothic Architecture in Dublin
The striking Gothic-style Chapel Royal of Dublin Castle (formerly the King’s Chapel), was designed by renowned architect Francis Johnston, and was opened on Christmas Day 1814 by the King’s representative in Ireland, Lord Lieutenant Whitworth.
The Chapel Royal Dublin Castle is famous for its interior carved oak galleries and stain glass windows.
Outside, Edward and John Smyth were responsible for carving over 90 stone heads depicting important people from Irish life. One of these, guarding the east entrance, is a representation of a crowned Brian Boru, part of a triumvirate of carved heads around this door which includes St Patrick and the Virgin Mary, a reminder of the high regard in which the medieval king was held in nineteenth-century Ireland.
For general information on the chapel:
Cristine Casey, The buildings of Ireland: Dublin (London, 2005).
James Mick Glashan, Dublin and its environs: with a map of the city, and numerous illustrations engraved in wood (Dublin, 1850).
Desmond Guinness, Georgian Dublin (Batsford, 1979).
H. J. Lawlor, 'The Chapel of Dublin Castle' in The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Sixth Series, vol. 18, no. 1 (1928), pp 44-53.